Bainbridge Firehouse Rehabilitation
Decatur County Council for the Arts
Bainbridge, Georgia, 2007
12,000 Square Feet



Description: Since 1914 the Bainbridge City Hall and Firehouse has served its community in many ways: City Hall, Library, Jail, and Public Safety facility. The building is one of few examples of Mission/Spanish Colonial architecture in the southern part of the state. Rehabilitation of this structure involved revealing the concealed original detail and restoring some of the buildings original spaces to accommodate its new role in community life as a cultural center. Removal of the maze of interior walls, which had developed over time, and the suspended ceilings exposed an open floor plan and beautiful timber trusses which would accommodate the buildings new use as home to the Bainbridge-Decatur County Council for the Arts and the Decatur County Historical Society. The buildings original bell tower, while retaining its historic appearance and original bell, was converted for use as a light well, providing natural light for the gallery spaces.